". . . a brush with nature"


10/5/2015 4:20:49 PM

Like a Duck Takes to Water

Debbie Hughbanks / Comment on this

I think I “took” to art like a duck takes to water. I loved creating art from a very early age. I loved drawing everything, but most especially animals, from the very start.  I find that many of the “duck” expressions we use in our everyday life really fit me to a “T” . . . plus, I LOVE painting ducks and other waterfowl!

I consider myself quite a “lucky duck” to be able to be a professional artist. It is great to be able to work at something you are passionate about each and every day. I love the creation of my art, but the thought process leading up to the actual painting or drawing is often just as exciting.  The painting is brought to life over and over again in my mind’s eye as I design and refine my vision before ever placing pastel or paint on paper or canvas.

Many people may consider me somewhat of an “odd duck”. That doesn’t bother me at all. Many artists are considered eccentric and I am proud to be among them. Eccentricity may be what allows us to think out of the box and bring our art to life.

This next expression may go against the flow of what is considered the “norm” for the free thinking artist type, but I certainly do like to have my “ducks in a row”. I love to have my act together, to be organized, to know where things are, to know what is happening tomorrow. I do enjoy spontaneity in some aspects of my life, but in many instances I am very organized and structured. I believe that comes from owning and running a small business in my previous, “before full-time artist” life. It may be somewhat of a contradiction, but perhaps it wraps back to the “odd duck” in me again.

If anyone were to ask me how my artist’s life is right now I would have to reply, “It is ‘just ducky!’ “ Of course that means everything is very well with me . . . and it is!

I hope you enjoy this selection of duck paintings . . . and one that isn’t a duck at all . . . the Grebe!

Read More