". . . a brush with nature"


12/10/2024 5:12:51 PM

Make Your Own Kind of Music . . . and Art

Debbie Hughbanks / Comment on this

“Make Your Own Kind of Music" is a song by American singer Cass Elliot released in September 1969. Here are the lyrics in part…

 

“Nobody can tell you

There's only one song worth singing

They may try and sell you

Cause it hangs them up

To see someone like you

 

But you gotta make your own kind of music

Sing your own special song

Make your own kind of music

Even if nobody else sings along”

 

Doesn’t that apply perfectly to being an artist? I believe so. Being creative. . .being an artist. . . certainly means that we each need to explore our own pathways and express ourselves in our own individual and uniquely special ways. And sometimes it might even mean doing something completely different from what we might normally do. Maybe we do it to try a new method, medium, subject or style. Maybe we do it to challenge ourselves. Or maybe we do it just to have FUN!!

 

Over the past several years I have painted a series of whimsical animal pieces to that end . . . just because they are so much fun! I still try to keep the critters realistic in style, but place them in unexpected situations and/or doing surprising things. This series has been a departure from the realism I love creating in my more traditional wildlife, western and figurative work, but it is also still true to me and definitely something I enjoy doing.

 

I am making my “own kind of music” with each piece I paint, no matter what the genre or style. That’s because I am passionate about what I do and I try to pour that love into each and every new creation. 

 

If you are an artist, I hope you will be able to do that, too.

 

Read More