I Had A Dream
“I dream a lot. I do more painting when I’m not painting. It’s in the subconscious..” ~Andrew Wyeth
When I read this quote, after pondering it a few moments, I realized it was absolutely true for me. I cannot say how many times, when asked about where my idea or inspiration for a painting came from, my reply has been, “Oh, it came to me in a dream.”
Often when that happens, I wake up with the painting completed in my mind. That’s terribly handy, by the way. It really simplifies things and streamlines the actual painting process. The key, of course, is to remember the details from the dream until you get to your studio to start work on your piece. That’s why I try to take extensive, detailed notes when I wake up . . . while everything is still very fresh in my mind.
My dreams are vivid and numerous on any given night. I’m not only referring to my art related dreams, but dreams of any type or subject. I see all the colors, feel the temperature of the place or experience the freezing coldness of rising water as it surrounds me in a submerged car I can’t escape. As you might imagine, such intensity can be either good or disturbing. In the case of creating art, the detailed dreams are a definite bonus.
Comprehensive notes become invaluable, too. Although I often don’t need them at all, it’s nice to know they are there . . . just in case.
Having a fully composed painting in my mind upon waking up in the morning is really quite amazing. When it happens I never take it for granted. I have always suspected that other artists have this experience, too. Now I know that even Andrew Wyeth did.
***As a side note, the painting, “Looking In, Looking Out”, is a perfect example of my blog topic today. It is a whimsical look at a woodland bunny who spies a snow globe through a window at a cabin in the woods. Pure magic! I believe it is a good example of what I like to call a storytelling piece. It is also a great example of how dreams can work for me as an artist. This painting came to me one night in late January 2026. I dreamt it in its entirety and painted it a few months later.***
Read More

