". . . a brush with nature"


9/27/2025 7:14:42 AM

Save Yourself!

Debbie Hughbanks / Comment on this

 

This is an urgent warning for ALL artists, no matter where you find yourself on your artistic journey. Don’t fall into this common trap. Watch for the signs. Don’t fall victim of Painting Paralysis! 

 

I first learned of this frightening affliction in an article titled “Stop Overthinking It” by Christopher Volpe. It addressed a common problem that many artists, myself included, often face. Overthinking a painting. Overthinking a painting happens when you start mentally asking yourself too many questions about what you think you’re supposed to be doing; what you think the painting is supposed to look like in the end. Overthinking causes second-guessing which eventually leads to indecision and the inability to paint at all. It will drive you crazy and kill your creativity, not to mention, your confidence. Truly, no good can come from overthinking, yet it is so easy to fall victim to it. Try to recognize the warning signs. Allow your artistic self to go with what “feels” right instead and watch what happens when you stop overthinking your art. Save yourself from Painting Paralysis!

 

Read More

9/3/2024 7:52:27 AM

Just Forget About It

Debbie Hughbanks / Comment on this

I read the following somewhere recently and it is pretty important to keep in mind if you are a professional artist that enters juried shows regularly and/or submits your work to galleries for consideration.

 

“Trying to figure out whether your work is going to get into a gallery, be juried into a show, win an award or even sell is out of your control. Forget about it. It’s out of your control. Just keep working.”


I regularly do submit to shows hoping to be juried in. I am fortunate enough to currently have art in some really wonderful galleries. I absolutely do love it when something I have created touches someone enough that they choose to take it home with them to enjoy on a daily basis. All of this is part of my life as a professional artist and I love it all. But I would be lying if I didn’t admit that I often try to figure out why a particular piece wasn’t accepted into a show; why a certain gallery didn’t ask me to join them “at this time” or why a painting I think of as a success hasn’t found a “forever home” yet. I do need to remember that it is really out of my control. I really do need to just keep working.

 

The truth is, I always do keep working. I have to. I am passionate about my art. Sometimes it’s easier said than done not to try to figure out things through. But, you just cannot. That painting that was rejected from one show may very well make it into the next, and even win an award. Who can account for that except to say, different judges and different tastes. And the painting that hasn’t sold yet . . . well, that’s only because the right person hasn’t seen it yet. 

 

Just keep working. Sometimes when you are considering what to submit to a specific show at a specific location/venue you might be surprised at what inspirations come your way. That happened to me recently. I was feeling a bit frustrated at first as a submission deadline was drawing closer because I was fresh out of ideas for this particular show. I really wanted to create at least one piece to submit, but nothing was coming to me. Then overnight (yes, quite literally overnight), I had a couple of thoughts that eventually led to six painting concepts the next day! I don’t know how many I will be able to finish before the deadline for this particular show, but now I have a pretty extensive list of ideas I am excited about and very much looking forward to working on.

 

The important thing to remember here. . . for me to remember here . . . is just don’t worry about the things I can’t control. Make the submissions and applications I want to, share my art where people can see it, and just keep painting.

 

Most importantly, just keep painting.

 

 

Read More