". . . a brush with nature"


1/19/2020 6:00:54 PM

When References "Speak"

Debbie Hughbanks / Comment on this

When references “speak” to you . . . listen.

 

Photo references can be a great tool for an artist, but in my opinion, they should never be the end all source for the work you are creating. Photo references, as the term implies, should be used as reference material only. 

 

Photos help me remember time and place or a special animal or face that I might want to use in a painting sometime in the future. Often along with a quick sketch (and sometimes notes) the pictures are “filed” away to be revisited weeks, months or even years later finally to be used in my painting.  (Thank goodness the filing system is now digital and much simplified for me!) 

 

When looking at your photos please remember that it was something quite specific that first captured your interest. Whether it was an expression on a face, the sight of a bird in flight, the beauty of a fresh cut bloom from your garden or the way sunlight washed across a stark landscape  . . . it was still something very specific that grabbed your attention. It was NOT all the background “noise” that you heard calling out to you. 

 

Last summer I was fortunate enough to be able to photograph several children (with their parents’ blessings) at a family gathering. These photos were all taken indoors. Finally, in December, I started work on my first piece from this series of reference photos.

 

                 

Reference photo is my own.

Thank you to Shane and Kim Devlin for allowing me to use their daughter as my model.

 

I was captivated by the look of wonder on this child’s face. She “spoke” to me and I “listened”. Even though the surroundings in the photograph are indoors, she transported me to another time and place. I saw (and felt) the wonder of a child experiencing the magic of dandelions gone to seed. I remembered the fun I had as a small girl blowing on a dandelion and watching the seeds (or perhaps fairies) float upwards into the heavens. I was transported once again back to a time of magic and wonder. And, of course, working on a summer piece in the middle of winter was a freeing experience, as well.

 

         

(Work is currently on my drawing board.)

Thank you to Joel Lee Brown, model, and to Dustin, owner of Masonville Mercantile, for allowing me use of the photo.

 

When I received permission from both the subject and photographer to paint from this photo I was thrilled. It captured my imagination. I “listened” for months. Finally, I heard the story this photo wanted me to tell. I cropped the photo significantly and focused more tightly on the downturned face and sun-drenched hat of the subject. I believe that adding the historical detail of the background completes the story this photo wanted to share.

 

Even an inanimate object can have a story to share if you only “listen”. This tiny bird nest was beautifully intact when I first discovered it. More often than not paintings of nests include baby birds or eggs, but this photo told me a different tale. I “listened” and heard a story of a family long grown and gone. It became the story of “What’s Left Behind”.

 

 

Photos should serve only as a starting point for the story you want to tell. If you remember what first “spoke” to you about the person, place or thing you photographed and then “listen” quietly to what it has to say . . . oh, the stories you will have to tell!

 

 

Read More

4/9/2018 10:45:59 AM

Imagining Beyond Your Reference

Debbie Hughbanks / Comment on this

As practicing, professional artists we all know how important it is to use our own reference photos as a starting place for our works of art. But that is exactly what those photos should be – only a starting point.  Having reference photos to work from should never limit us to only what we see in front of us. We should be able to move beyond the pictures and imagine more, freeing ourselves to experiment and explore.

 

Many years ago (about 12 to be precise) my husband, grandson and I paid a visit to a wild animal park on the other side of the state. Of course, we took many photos during our trip which I have made use of often throughout the years. Recently I went through them again as I contemplated another series of paintings based on a North American wildlife theme. (Back then we were still using a pre-digital camera, so I had stacks of actual photos to physically look through. It was definitely old school, I know, but I had a lot of fun reminiscing!)

 

I found three images in particular that struck my fancy. They were each nice shots of the individual animals, but the surrounding backgrounds were unexceptional. I know I had used at least one of the photos before as a reference for a painting, but it doesn’t matter if you revisit your references . . . especially if you plan on really changing things up. That was my idea, so I let my imagination run wild going way beyond the basic picture before me.

 

 

The adult black bear was a beauty. I absolutely loved the expression on her face and it made me wonder what she was smiling about. Almost instantly I “saw” a mom with cubs playing all around her. A lot of imagination went into the addition of the little ones, but I am happy with the story I was able to tell by starting off with momma bear’s enigmatic smile.

 

 

In my photo the snowy owl was nestled amongst the ferns looking slightly up at the camera. A lovely portrait to be sure, but I wanted something a bit more dramatic. I thought an ombré of dark blues for a background would really allow my owl to “pop” on my canvas. I then added spatters that could either be interpreted as stars or snow, this being left up to each individual viewer.

 

 

Wolves have always fascinated me and this one was no exception. Even after all these years I still remember standing before her for as long as time allowed transfixed by her regal bearing. Although I am sure she was not the alpha female, in my mind I believe she might very well be the beta. That is why I titled this painting, “Lady in Waiting.” (Historically, a lady in waiting was often a noble woman, but of a lower rank than the female she served.) This wolf seemed so magnificent and dignified to me…definitely with a sense of nobility. I imagined her in a place of beauty, surrounded by flowers with sunlight filtering through to the ground. This is the setting I envisioned.

 

So, you see, as an artist you can let your mind wander and your imagination fly even with a very mundane reference shot right in front of you. In fact, it is encouraged. That is what creativity is all about, after all.

 

Read More