". . . a brush with nature"


7/5/2024 6:54:02 AM

Creatures of the Wild

Debbie Hughbanks / Comment on this

         

 

“I do not go to the forest to be alone, she said, I go to be with the ones who speak without human words.” 

My husband sent this to me recently and said that he thought, “that’s my baby.”

 

He was right. It fits me perfectly. It doesn’t just “fit” me, it IS me. I do go to the forest to be “with” the creatures of the woods. They are my family . . . I feel very comfortable there, surrounded by the animals and birds, big or small, seen or unseen.

 

We live in the woods. We have for decades. It is where we both feel most comfortable now, I believe. We are in awe of the wildlife and what we have been able to witness during our time spent here, sharing their experiences with them. We treat the wild creatures with respect. After all, we moved into their space and they have accepted us here . . . have accepted our offers of friendship, and I believe they know we mean them no harm. 

 

And here I paint. 

My studio sits in this beautiful forest, too. It is visited daily by the “ones who speak without human words.”  I treasure each and every visit like the great honor that it is. For how many people are really so fortunate as I, to have visitors such as these . . . the beautiful feathered and furry creatures of the wild? 

 

 

Read More