". . . a brush with nature"


1/1/2024 4:49:28 PM

Doing a Double Take - Same Subject Two Ways

Debbie Hughbanks / Comment on this

  

Sometimes it’s fun and challenging to revisit a favorite painting subject over and over again. I know of landscape artists (plein air painters) that like to revisit the same location multiple times to capture the site in a different light or season. Sometimes artists are just so fond of a particular subject they never grow tired of painting it, whether it be a treasured still-life piece or a favorite model. Often, as in my case, it is a much-loved pet that has become an important part of our family.

Here I am sharing two quite different “takes” on the same subject . . . one of our beautiful cats, Cappuccino. This handsome boy spent much of his time looking at the outside world through our large living room windows. I painted him several times in this particular pose. 

As you can see, the two pieces are alike in some ways, but extremely different, as well. The basic pose that I started with is the same (it was his favorite, after all), but one piece is cropped in much more closely than the other. Of course, that isn’t the only difference. The most obvious being that one painting is done in pastel and the other in scratchboard completed with a few color highlights in ink.

Each of these pieces were challenging and fun. I am happy with both of them for different reasons and I couldn’t say which I like better. 

If you are another artist, I hope this encourages you to revisit subjects you most enjoy painting. Look for ways you can change and expand on your chosen subject either by trying another medium, exploring different lighting or even time of year. Take the challenge to discover a unique way to change things up on a theme you have already explored in the past. I bet you will be pleasantly surprised and even learn something new along the way.

 

 

 

Read More

11/2/2015 10:31:00 AM

Frisbee Retriever

Debbie Hughbanks / Comment on this

Dogs are a favorite subject of mine to paint. I spotted this beautiful retriever playing frisbee with his owner and had to capture the moment in a painting. I love the look of determination on the dog's face as he brings his "prize" back to shore. I also found the reflections and sparkle on the water to be fascinating and a challenge I wanted to try to recreate in my work.

This work will be for sale, but is currently entered in a show. Please contact me for further information on the piece.

Read More

7/10/2015 8:20:53 AM

A Favorite Subject - A Favorite Medium

Debbie Hughbanks / Comment on this

This wolf is found dozing amidst the sunlight filtering through the trees deep in the forest. It is autumn and he may well be enjoying the last warm day of the year. I loved the relaxed look and warm feel of the wolf and his surroundings. I had to capture the moment in pastel.

"Autumn Repose" 12"h x 16"w

Read More

6/22/2015 11:21:11 AM

A Favorite Subject In a Small Format

Debbie Hughbanks / Comment on this


Wolves fascinate me. I never grow tired of watching them or painting them. In this miniature piece sunlight falls across the wolf as he makes his way across a rocky outcropping.

I have painted many wolves in many sizes and mediums, however "Regal Sovereign" is the smallest piece (4" x 6") I have done of a wolf and I must say it is one of my favorites. I love the play of light in the work and the simplicity of the painting. Of course, I also love my subject!

 

This is a pastel that is framed and under glass. It can be found on the "Small Gems" page of my website with other small and miniature works.

Thank you for taking a moment to consider "a brush with nature."

Read More

5/31/2015 3:12:30 PM

The Contemporary Art of Nature MAMMALS

Comment on this

A new book has just been released featuring over 500 pieces of art with animals as the subject matter. About 100 artists from around the world were invited to be included in the book by author, E. Ashley Rooney. This elegant collection "honors the artistic connection and age-old totemic relationship between animal and human."  E. Ashley Rooney quite eloquently writes in the Preface about the bond many of us share with animals. Carel Pieter Brest van Kempen, artist, naturalist and author, contributed a thought provoking Forward and Donna Dodson's Introduction is a must read, as well. Without question, the stunning full-color photographs of the individual artists' works are the shining stars of the book, taking the reader on an exciting visual journey through the world of animal art.

 

I am so excited to have my work included in this book. Just to be invited was an honor in itself. Then the real surprise was to find that my pastel painting, "Daydreamin' ", was chosen for the inside front of the book. This was very special and a tribute to our dog, Fergus, who we have since lost. He would be quite honored, too, as he was my constant companion, model and muse.

 

The Contemporary Art of Nature Mammals is available at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

 

                        

Read More

5/5/2015 10:50:40 AM

If I wasn't an artist, I'd be a ...

Debbie Hughbanks / 1 Comment

. . . horse. Yes, I did say horse! Or maybe it would be a dog, bear, moose or bunny. Who knows which critter for sure, but definitely an animal of some sort. I have been saying that since I was a small child when every other kid was pretending to ride on horses, but I was pretending to be one. 

 

Animals have always been a passion of mine. I love and respect them. I feel close to them. I am drawn to them . . . and I am compelled to draw and paint them. When I was young I spent most of my free time drawing horses, that is when I wasn't reading books about them or "being" one. Today not that much has changed. I have a family of cherished furry and feathered friends and am honored to have daily visitors from the forest that surround my home and studio. I still find that the greatest percentage of my art is centered around that theme, be it wildlife or domestic animals. I also love exploring the relationship and bonds we build with the animals we share our lives with. 

 

I think it is important to paint what is in your heart . . . what you feel strongly about . . . what you have a passion for. When a viewer looks at a painting of mine I hope they can experience the love and respect I feel for the animal I have portrayed in the piece. 

Read More