". . . a brush with nature"


6/15/2026 4:32:05 AM

Enthusiasm and Art

Debbie Hughbanks / 2 Comments

“Nothing great has ever been achieved without enthusiasm.”

-Ralph Waldo Emerson


And boy, am I enthusiastic about my art! 

Enthusiasm is a great thing and I am enthusiastic about what I do. I feel I have to be enthusiastic about that or there will be a sense of something missing. My work won’t ring true either to me or to a viewer. I need to look forward to going into my studio each day feeling motivated, as well as dedicated, to doing my best work.


I also need to feel passionate about the subject I’ve chosen. When I am passionate about it I will be eager to paint it. When that happens, there is a joy in the act of creation itself. I want to be connected with it. When I experience my own deep sense of connection with my subject I am better able to translate that relationship onto my canvas. Then, I can, hopefully, bring my subject to life with its own distinctive set of traits, unique feelings and a soulfulness within the eyes.


When I am genuinely engaged I feel joy as I work. I want others to experience that joy, too. I want them to “know” my subject . . . to be moved by it . . . perhaps, even feel an emotional tie to it. I can only hope to achieve these goals if I am emotionally connected myself. Then, my passion, my enthusiasm, will truly be felt in my art.

 

Read More

1/8/2024 3:38:28 PM

The Nectar of Life

Debbie Hughbanks / Comment on this

This painting is about life . . . the bird(s) and the bees . . . life and death . . . and what happens in between. It is about working to create a meaningful, productive and fulfilled life in between the beginning and the end. Especially from the bees’ standpoint since they made the honey which then was used in the creation of the Mead. The bird is a bee-eater . . . well, you understand the rest of the story knowing that.

 

A lot happens for each of us between the beginning of our lives and the end. Some “happenings” are quite momentous, some take us by surprise. Sometimes something starts out small and seems quite inconsequential, but in the end, turns out to be life altering. It’s all life; it’s all happening around us each and every day, and we never know exactly what is going to happen until it does. It sure keeps things interesting.

 

I hope that you find joy and productivity in the things you choose to do while life is happening around you. Perhaps it will be sharing special time with someone you hold dear or maybe creating your next work of art. Whatever it is, enjoy the entirety of your life from beginning to end. Each new day really is a gift that is yours to unwrap.

 

 

Read More